Cars play a central role in our lives. Even if you don't own a car, you ride in cabs, rent cars or accept rides from friends and family. But for most of us, our car play a significant role in our lives, taking us to work and help us manage our daily lives.
The automobile industry is one of the top 5 business sectors in the United States economy. The role in the economy, and the role in our lives, point to the opportunity APIs, in the automobile industry.
There are a handful of players, actively using APIs, and engaging the developer community. Most car companies are using APIs in the sense of a service oriented architecture (SOA), but are just just beginning to understand the potential of web APIs.
When you consider the amount of time ad money we spend on our cars, the opportunity to deliver apps, communication, location and other common API enabled apps is evident.
In comparison of other business sectors that are being influenced by web APIs, the automobile industry is behind. But if you look at the scope of the opportunity, a slow, and thoughtful approach to API deployment and developer engagement is required.
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Why Google and Apple’s battle to lock users into their services will stop at your car’s door
- APIs in the Connected Car: APIdays San Francisco
- The Carvoyant Connected Car Cast - Episode 4 - YouTube
- The Netherlands wants to have self-driving trucks within five years | Techi.com
- Smart parking startup SpotHero raises $4.5M in Series A funding — Tech News and Analysis
- U.K. rewrites road laws to welcome driverless cars
- Tesla Might Just Open Up Its Electric Car Patents
- Growth of the Los Angeles Roadway Network
- Secure APIs drive the Connected Car: Catch the webinar on BMW Group with IC-Consult
- APIs Fueling the Connected Car Opportunity